Just how well you use words can produce an enduring impression on people. Master those words skillfully and people may see you in any number of positive lights – as intelligent, influential, funny, etc. But even one little grammatical error can have the reverse effect.
Grammar mistakes is a topic that worries lots of people. in a blog post, Brian Clark pointed out 15 Grammar Goofs That Make You Look Silly. Here are 10 more to add to the list.
- Wrong: clap for yourself
Right: clap yourself
- Wrong: clap for him/her
Right: clap him/her
- Wrong: I want to buy drugs at the chemist
Right: I want to buy drugs at the medicine shop
- Wrong: I am on bed
Right: I am in bed
- Wrong: I am planning against tomorrow
Right: I am planning for tomorrow
- Wrong: it’s like she is pregnant
Right: it’s seems she is pregnant
- Wrong: I am going to the barbing salon
Right: I am going to the barber’s shop
- Wrong: I want to barb my hair
Right: I want to cut my hair
- Wrong: I want to use the toilet
Right: I want to use the ladies/gent
If someone is talking to you, and you don’t hear him/her very well;
- Wrong: you don’t say “excuse me” or “come again”
Right: you say “I beg your pardon” or “please recap”
Even after years of learning it in school, grammar is just one of those things people still mess up.
When this happens, go through this post and find out which common grammar mistakes echo together with you the most. Take note to avoid blunder in future, or just bookmark this blog post to help remind yourself of these again and again (and over) again.
If you have any other grammar mistakes to add to the list, please let me know in the comment below.
Latest posts by Ansa John (see all)
- When To Start Applying for SIWES Industrial Training and Internship - August 11, 2017
- 9mobile Prize for Literature 2018 Application: Call For Entries - August 5, 2017
- Online Education – Your Gateway To Success - August 3, 2017