Last updated on July 19th, 2017
Ever wonder why people Show Nervousness During examination? Do you still remember how you often visit the gent into exams hall? These are clear signs of exams fear (i.e being nervous) and if care is not taken might lead to forgetfulness in the exams hall.
How’d like to learn how to deal with anxiety and forgetfulness in exams? Read on let’s discover how to deal with anxiety during exams.
Examination is either a spoken or written test of knowledge. It is the means by which teachers, instructors, tutors and lecturers assess the level to which learners have understood or acquired the knowledge imparted to them. The student’s ability to meet the requirements of the instructor depends primarily upon the effectiveness of his study methods during the term. If his methods have been poor, then the task of preparing for a final examination becomes extremely arduous with chances of success correspondingly reduced. Examination opens the door to promotion for learners. Many students fear or hate examination. Once examination time tables are released, such students due to many reasons develop cold feet and fear for the examination. Nonchalant with their studies. Those who prepare very well for examination are usually happy when they hear about it and such always passed their examination very well.
But before we discus about how to deal with anxiety and forgetfulness in exams, I strongly advice you read on the Causes of Failure in Examination if you have not done that already before we can proceed.
How to Deal With Anxiety and Conquer Forgetfulness in Examination
Image attributed to: Sadhguru
Human beings are prone to forgetting important things occasionally. Forgetting facts either studied or read in the examination hall is a product of either anxiety or poor memory. In order to conquer forgetfulness, the student must do the following in the cause of preparing for the examination.
- Focus your attention on the materials you are studying
- Avoid cramming by establishing regular study sessions
- Structure and organize the information you are studying
- Elaborate and rehearse the information you are studying.
- Relate new information to things you already know (about colors and taste is also helpful).
- Visualize concepts to improve memory and recall
- Teach new concepts to another person. This is a good way of reinforcing information into your subconscious mind. Become a member of a study group here
- Pay extra attention to difficult information
- Vary your study styles
- Utilize mnemonic devices to remember information. Mnemonic are formed in various ways to aid retention. It could be one word, or phrase or even a sentence containing the first letters of names of items in a list. You can form mnemonics by following these principles:
- Order of operations in mathematics. E.g. Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally means parentheses, exponential, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.
- Great Lakes. The name of the Great Lakes are: Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario. You can remember the order from first to the last with the following: Super Man Helps Every One.
- Planets: The planets (without poor Pluto) are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles.
- Order of Taxonomy: The order of taxonomy in biology is: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species. There are many mnemonics for this: Kelvin’s Poor Cow Only Feels Good Sometimes. King Philip Cried Out For Good Soup.
- Taxonomic Classification for Humans. So where do human beings fit in when it comes to the order of taxonomy? Animalia, Chordata, Mammalia, Primatae, Hominidae, Homo sapiens. Try one of these mnemonic devices: All Cool Men Prefer Having Heavy Sideburns. Or Anyone Can Make Pretty Healthy Hot Stew.
- Coordinate conjunctions: Coordinating conjunctions are used when we join two clauses together. They are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. You can remember FANBOY as a device or try a full sentence, mnemonic: Four Apes Nibbled Big Orange Yams.
Hint: the best way to create a memorable mnemonics is to make it funny or rude (lol)
Anything to add to this article? Share below in comment.
Latest posts by Ansa John (see all)
- When To Start Applying for SIWES Industrial Training and Internship - August 11, 2017
- 9mobile Prize for Literature 2018 Application: Call For Entries - August 5, 2017
- Online Education – Your Gateway To Success - August 3, 2017