Last updated on September 11th, 2017
How to develop reading skills for excellent performance in examination is what every student preparing for exams ought to know. Examination is the assessment of the knowledge gained by a student at the end of a period of training. The desire of any student going in for examination is to succeed. However, some have experienced failures in examination over the years. Consequently, such are now discouraged and have even lost confidence in themselves that they could ever succeed. Failure in any examination is generally a cumulative effect of several factors which I earlier discus here
Prominent among these factors is the inability to read and comprehend. As a student, you need to learn how to improve your reading skills, you are to be a reader because “readers are leaders”. You are not only to read, you are also to make sure that you comprehend what you read. A lot of students do not comprehend what the study not because they cannot, but because they have not learnt the principles of reading for comprehension. This ignorance is what has led many into the captivity of failure. So read on to know how to develop reading skills.
POSSIBILITY OF COMPREHENDING WHAT YOU READ
Comprehending what we read initially may seem difficult, but if we follow the principles we would discover that it is possible. The secret behind great leaders is that they are given to effective reading of good materials. Not only are they given to reading those good materials, they also comprehend the message and apply them at the right time. Reading and comprehending what we read would make us masters of our subjects. It gives us confidence to approach examination and excel. It will also promote us, bring us into favour and help us to excel in leadership positions. You can get to unimaginable heights through reading of good materials. However reading bad materials will lead you to the depth of corruption and backwardness in life. Comprehending and remembering what we read besides being beneficial, is quite possible. This is because God had blessed us with a good memory. This good memory has turned ordinary men to extraordinary people.
The list of successful people with powerful memories is long and varied and includes such famous figures as:
- George Washington who was reportedly able to call every soldier under his command by name.
- Winston Churchill was said to recall so much of Shakespeare’s work from memory that when he went to see a play he would often recite the lines from the audience and distract the actors.
- Bill Gate, founder of Microsoft, has been known to amaze his colleagues by remembering hundreds of lines of source code from the original basic programming language he developed.
- The poet John Milton, who was blind, composed “Paradise Lost” in his mind 40 lines at a time and then recited them to a scribe.
- Julius Caesar’s memory was so sharp that he could dictate four letters to his secretaries simultaneously.
Now, you could be the next success story.
Ways to Develop Reading Skills for Excellence Performance in Examination
Do you know that improving reading skills can help you to overcome exam fear? Yes, that’s right! In order to improve reading skills, or reading to comprehend, it must be done at right time and place by using the right techniques. The two major study techniques highlighted below have been very helpful if properly applied: the first is SQ3R approach – meaning Survey, Question, Read, Recite and Review.
- Survey assists to get the main ideas before commencing study. It involves looking at the title, subheadings and any summaries or abstracts.
- Questions in this context has to do with making a list of questions relevant to your subject. Next,
- Read the text at least twice; then
- Recall what you have read after closing the note and then make your own note. Thereafter.
- Review what you have read by checking the accuracy of your note with the original note. This will inevitably yield great result.
The second is R6 approach. In this method, you Record facts and ideas in phrase; Reduce to questions important ideas learnt in the class; Recite facts or ideas brought to mind by key words or questions; Reflect on the facts and ideas that you have learnt; Review your notes regularly and Recap by summarizing each main idea with good sentences during study.
Let me know in the comment if you have any ideas about other ways to improve reading skills for excellent performance in examination. Any comments is greatly appreciated.
Latest posts by Ansa John (see all)
- Question And Answer Time With John Ansa - October 21, 2017
- Apply Now for NNPC / Total Undergraduate Scholarship: 2017 /2018 - October 11, 2017
- How to properly format the preliminary pages of a project report - October 11, 2017